Make a Missile Note!

The purpose of the Missile Notes blog is to inspire productivity in the form of creative writing by showcasing motivated textual developers on a day to day basis. Please feel free to read the day's prompt (the first post of every day), write for ten minutes about your interpretation of the prompt, and e-mail me your free write if you would like to share it with the other visitors of Missile Notes. Hopefully, this site will provide an encouraging atmosphere in which writers of every level of experience and stature can stimulate their minds daily. For more detailed information about Missile Notes, view this blog entry! E-mail me at missilenotes@gmail.com to submit a free write!

Friday, July 9, 2010

"Untitled" by Riley Lundgren

I wake up suddenly. Its dark but I can sorta make out what's around me. I come to and resize Im in my room laying on my bed. Looking over to my desk to see what time it is. 4:24. Just missed it. I close my eyes and hug my pillow like its my girlfriend to start falling back to sleep. In a second Im instantly up again. Same way, same feeling. But now its 4:32. I move around and sit up from my bed. "What's the deal?" I say to myself. I usually can sleep fine threw the night. Trains can roll by and I wouldn't open a wink. Why now? I stay seated on the bed still feeling fatigued from waking up earlier. Silence and the sound of me breathing fill the room. As I lay back down and rest my eyes I try to focus on things that will put me back into hibernation. I think about apples and dogs. Baby animals and school. Peaceful boring crap. But my eye lids snap right back open. Clearly there's something my body is telling me that I don't see. At that moment my bedroom door creeks open. Just enough to make noise but not enough to see threw. It just barely sat on the crack of the door and the frame letting no light threw. My eyes became fixated on it. Im now scarred out of my mind. The littlest things always get to me. At this point normally i would just go back to sleep. But from the other two times of being awoken I decided it was time to investigate. I mustered up some courage and grabbed the nearest bat like object i could find and headed to my door. With a hockey stick in one hand I reach for the door knob with my other and swing it open. Instead of finding what i was hoping to be nothing, I found darkness. The bane of my existence. Still determined to play detective I proceed on down the hallway from my room. I pass four other empty rooms on my way to the end of the hall. All the rooms are vacant because we had planned on moving to new york. But then my wife and kids died in a freak armadillo accident so i sold all there shit and kept the house. Bad choice seeing as how they could come back to haunt me. As i reach the end of the hall I flick on the light. It gets bright and my eyes adjust to the new found source. As i come to I see an empty kitchen. Empty of people, but not sounds. Something is a matter. Hit. Hit. Hit. My mind does that wondering thing again and I become paranoid that Im not the only one. Even with the lights on I still feel unsafe. I walk around the rest of the house franticly. With each other room i step in i do the same thing. Turn on lights. Hold hockey stick tight. Look pissed. But in all of them nothing. The sound still remains though. I can just hear it. Hit. Hit. Hit. Some on time more than others but always hit, hit, hit. The sound gets more faint as I get farther away from the kitchen. I start my way back to there. "Ill never get to sleep if I don't figure this out." I reach the kitchen and look around. Nothing. But that sound. That sound is still going. Hit, hit, hit. I look around some more, this time determined. As I scan my eyes past the sink I see what it is. The faucet. I stare with my jaw to the floor as if the most beautiful had just walked by. How stupid am I. I reach for the valve and turn it all the way. I watch the nozzle to see the drips come to a halt, but they don't. They keep dripping. Its broken. I stare wondering why and how this started. To tired to care I head back to my room. My body stops me halfway and my ears being to bleed from the sound of that dreaded sink. Hit, hit, hit. I turn around a stare at it once more. Watching each one drop and brake as it hits the steel sink. The water starts small but builds itself around the open circle of the faucet. Hit. Another drops. I stood watching it happen. If this goes on I wont be able to get to sleep. But i stand like a zombie watching. Hit. Another one. Hit. Once more. With each drop I start to resize ill never get to bed. Hit. The water forms up again slowly, into a perfect circle and then drip. Hits again. I stood for another twenty minuets watching. As I contuine to stare wating for the next one, it never came. It stoped. No water was coming out. I let out a sigh of relief and curl up on the ground where i stood. As I close my eyes i start to go back into my dreams. Slowly slipping back into candy-land I let out one more yawn and Im back asleep. When I came to in the morning the faucet wasn't leaking. I had kill the beast and survived to tell the tale. Feeling accomplished I move away from the sink. As I head into the next room I go stiff from shock. Some asshole robed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment