Make a Missile Note!

The purpose of the Missile Notes blog is to inspire productivity in the form of creative writing by showcasing motivated textual developers on a day to day basis. Please feel free to read the day's prompt (the first post of every day), write for ten minutes about your interpretation of the prompt, and e-mail me your free write if you would like to share it with the other visitors of Missile Notes. Hopefully, this site will provide an encouraging atmosphere in which writers of every level of experience and stature can stimulate their minds daily. For more detailed information about Missile Notes, view this blog entry! E-mail me at missilenotes@gmail.com to submit a free write!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"When a Missile is Launched" by Matthew Zuniga

The thirty nine year old
futon potato weight
keeps sitting on the futon
in front of the television
so he will not drift away;

sees the hot trail ascending into the afternoon sky
on its way to the People’s Republic of China
or anywhere else separate.

It doesn’t matter.
He doesn’t give a shit where
for more than filling up his gut
and neither do I.

We’ve all considered
at one point or another
whether it was useful to run
or not,

and when they go up
that means more will come down in these parts,
tearing up our houses and lawns
that we manicure and tend to
like children with down syndrome
as if they needed manicuring and tending to.

Drag me down into
the earth with my beautiful
toys and distractions.

I go outside and pull
some grass out of the yard.

I fill my pockets up with it
because I don’t want to
incinerate by myself,

although on this day
sitcoms will squeeze themselves
intimately next to the very
edge of the furnace, milking
every last flammable dollar.

I am convinced

this is the end,
this is a publicity stunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment